How to care for cattle during a heatwave?
Extreme heat causes significant stress to livestock. Keeping an eye on weather forecasts and developing a mitigation plan for the heatwave season is crucial to their well-being. Use these simple tips to keep them safe during a heatwave.
- Keep animals in shade and give them plenty of clean and cold water to drink. Water intake increases 40 to 50 per cent during the summers.
- Do not make them work between 11am to 4pm.
- Cover the shed roof with straw, paint it white or plaster with dung-mud to reduce temperature.
- Use fans, water spray and foggers in the shed.
- During extreme heat, spray water and take cattle to a water body to cool off.
- Give them green grass, protein-fat bypass supplement, mineral mixture and salt. Make them graze during cooler hours.
- In case of sunstroke, take them to a veterinary hospital immediately.
1. Comments will be moderated by NDMA'seditorial team. 2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published. 3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters, or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text. (example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not 'the', n is not 'and'). 4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments. 5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.